ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST
TCS Access is dedicated to advancing equitable access and empowerment of persons with disabilities through the provision of Assistive Technology (AT) tools and solutions aimed at fostering independence and productivity.
We believe all individuals, regardless of ability, should have equal access to the tools needed to perform essential job or educational functions. We believe a disability is not a barrier to successful, competitive employment or academic achievement.
Our work is informed by our core values.
Raise the Bar - we continually strive to hold ourselves and our clients to higher expectations and rise above the industry status quo.
Celebrate Differences - we celebrate our diversity and are proud of our differences. We look for the unique qualities and perspectives each person and partner bring to our team. It is through this lens we are better positioned to assist those in need of our services.
Be in it Together - when we do well, we all do well and when we have challenges, we work through them together.
Make No Assumptions - we cannot change the status quo if we continue to make assumptions.
TCS Access is looking for a motivated, organized, enthusiastic Assistive Technology Specialist (ATS) to join our fast-growing team. The ATS will be responsible for providing direct AT support services for TCSA’s clients located in the Washington DC metro area with availability to travel to client sites nationally if needed.
The successful candidate must have strong training skills, Information Technology (IT) skills, knowledge of AT software and hardware and their application with persons of varying disabilities and needs and ability to learn best practices in accessibility regarding documents, applications, and web sites. They must be skilled with the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint), PC and Apple computer systems and possess a desire to keep pace with changes within the fields of AT and IT.
Self-starters with an ability to learn new technologies quickly, the passion and patience to teach others and the flexibility to adjust to client requirements are well suited for this challenging position. Additionally, the candidate must have strong verbal and written communication skills and can communicate with diverse audiences in the public and private sectors and an ability to work independently and in a team environment. Persons from related fields who are methodical, person-centered and technical are encouraged to apply.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Train persons with disabilities to use AT hardware and software in one on one and group settings both in person and remotely
- Install, configure, troubleshoot and train on a variety of AT products including screen reading, screen magnification and other technologies on PCs, Macs and smart devices
- Assess/troubleshoot a client’s equipment in person and remotely and either fix any issues they are experiencing on the spot or make timely and effective recommendations to remediate the issue/s
- Assess client’s current skill level regarding their AT and computer acumen, adapt training lessons and materials accordingly and make recommendations for equipment (AT or IT) or additional training needed
- Create training outlines and accessible reference materials for clients
- Train persons to use their AT on a variety of platforms to include: PC, Android, and Apple
- Participate in and assist in development/upgrading of services regarding document, application and website accessibility
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum five years teaching JAWS and ZoomText in group and individual settings
- Confident public speaker who can communicate verbally and in writing the purpose and results of the service they are providing to wide varying audiences including professionals with and without experience with accessibility and disability
- Demonstrated professional experience training persons of all technical skill levels who are blind and visually impaired
- Knowledge of various AT software used by persons with disabilities is required
- Ability to develop training outlines and accessible reference materials for clients
- The ideal candidate will have experience training, installing, configuring and troubleshooting in a variety of computing environments
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Ability to obtain certifications in JAWS and ZoomText within one month of hire and any of the following certification’s a plus: RESNA Assistive Technology Professional (ATP), Assistive Technology Applications Certificate Program (ATACP), Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), CompTIA A+, Certified Assistive Technology Instructional Specialist for People with Visual Impairments (CATIS), DHS Trusted Tester, Certified Professional in Core Competencies (CPACC), Accessible Document Specialist (ADS)
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science or engineering, information technology, information systems, special education or education may be well suited for this position
- U.S. Citizenship with the ability to obtain a Federal security clearance within 60 days of employment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently to meet assigned task requirements
- Flexible and open-minded interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be able to travel independently